(Q) M. Kukushkin vs P. Andujar
D. Koepfer vs Q. Halys (Q)
R. Gasquet vs D. Medvedev [2]

Joylan1
Junior
Junior

Re: USO Men's Draw 2021

Post by Joylan1 » Aug Tue 31, 2021 10:36 am

"It's just disappointing because I feel it influenced the outcome of the match," Murray said. "I'm not saying I necessarily win that match for sure, but it had influence on what was happening after those breaks."

Tsitsipas won the tightly contested marathon match 2-6, 7-6 (7), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 in 4 hours, 49 minutes. The No. 3 seed and 2021 French Open finalist received medical treatment on his left foot after losing the third set and went to the bathroom after winning the fourth set.

Murray complained on the court about how long Tsitsipas was taking in the toilet at the time and again once play had resumed. Murray remained frustrated when speaking to the media following the match.

"The issue is that you cannot stop the way that that affects you physically," Murray said. "When you're playing a brutal match like that, you know, stopping for seven, eight minutes, you do cool down. You can prepare for it mentally as much as you like, but it's the fact that it does affect you physically when you take a break that long, well, multiple times during the match.

"I think when he took the medical timeout, it was just after I had won the third set. Also in the fourth set when I had Love-30, he chose to go -- I don't know if he changed his racket or what he was doing. But, yeah, it can't be coincidence that it's happening at those moments."

"I don't believe [his foot] was causing him any issue at all," Murray continued. "The match went on for another two and a bit hours after that or something. He was fine, moving great, I thought."

Murray took to Twitter on Monday about the issue.

Ace2Ace
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ace2Ace » Aug Tue 31, 2021 12:25 pm

some of us have been suggesting that a MTO should be penalized: you lose 1 game. If that means you lose the match, well, that's life.
if you are really injured, is winning a match more important than your health?

Pyotr
Senior
Senior

Post by Pyotr » Sep Wed 01, 2021 5:20 am

Excuses. You're a multiple Major winner and have been on the tour
long enough to know how to deal. Tsitsipas broke no rules, you lost,
end of story.

Joylan1
Junior
Junior

Post by Joylan1 » Sep Wed 01, 2021 10:27 am

chair umpire because the bin was too far away for him to walk and discard used, sweaty towels. Because of Covid protocols, tennis players are required to place used towels in the bin without assistance from a ball boy or girl.

Kyrgios could be seen arguing with chair umpire Carlos Bernardes over the towel dispute. Although it was hard to hear what was said on the broadcast, tennis journalist Tumaini Carayol of The Guardian shared one of the exchanges.

After being told by Bernardes, “it’s part of the game,” Kyrgios quickly fired back and disagreed.

“It’s not part of the game,” Kyrgios ranted. “So texting someone’s part of the game, too? Taking 20-minute bathroom breaks is part of the game? That’s part of the game. Everything’s part of the game. I need to take a sh*t. Ah, part of the game. It’s f*cking stupid.”

“It’s a f*cking joke, mate,” Kyrgios said, complaining because he had to walk “20 extra steps,” to put his towel in the bin. One of the announcers on the broadcast blasted Kyrgios for his constant bickering with Bernardes, saying the dispute was “almost like a parent talking to a spoiled child.”

Following the loss, the 26-year-old tennis player continued his towel rant to reporters. “Look, the towel situation for me is incredibly stupid,” Kyrgios said. “I’m one of the players on Tour that is fully vaccinated.”

“As of now, I’m getting treated exactly the same as a player that is not vaccinated,” he continued. “I feel like if I want my towel around the court, if it’s not disturbing Bautista Agut’s vision, if he doesn’t see the towel, I don’t see anything wrong with having my towel on the side or on the ground. And it’s just absurd for me.”

Zalvar
Regular
Regular

Post by Zalvar » Sep Thu 02, 2021 11:54 am

Just Kyrgios acting like a baby again.

Skilletsauce
Junior
Junior

Post by Skilletsauce » Sep Thu 02, 2021 3:24 pm

Alexander Zverev piles on Stefanos Tsitsipas' bathroom breaks with cheating charge: 'It's not normal'
Yahoo Sports
JASON OWENS
August 31, 2021, 10:28 PM
There was plenty of chatter at the US Open on Tuesday after Andy Murray blasted No. 3 seed Stefanos Tsitsipas for an extended bathroom break Monday night.

Alexander Zverev even doubled down on a prior accusation that Tsitsipas uses his breaks to receive illegal coaching from his dad during matches.

How did we get here?
The drama started between the fourth and fifth sets of Murray's opening-round match against Tsitsipas late Monday. Tsitsipas left the court during the nearly five-hour match for a bathroom break that reportedly took around eight minutes. Murray complained to the chair umpire as Tsitsipas' break lingered.

“Why are they allowed to do this?” Murray asked the chair umpire, per the New York Times' Ben Rothenberg.

"It's never once taken me that long to go to the toilet, ever," he continued, pleading then to supervisor Gerry Armstrong.

He then yelled at Tsitsipas to "get up!" when he returned to the court only to sit on his bench for a sip of water. Tsitsipas broke Murray's serve in the ensuing game and went on to secure a 2-6, 7-6, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 victory to avoid an upset at the hands of the 2012 US Open champion.

Andy Murray, of Great Britain, reacts during the first round of the US Open tennis championships against Stefanos Tsitsipas, of Greece, Monday, Aug. 30, 2021, in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)
Andy Murray was not pleased with Stefanos Tsitsipas on Monday. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)
Murray didn't leave his rancor on the court. He told reporters after the match that the bathroom break influenced the outcome of the match and that he "lost respect" for his opponent.

"It's just disappointing because I feel it influenced the outcome of the match," Murray said. "I'm not saying I necessarily win that match, for sure, but it had influence on what was happening after those breaks.

"I rate him a lot. I think he's a brilliant player. I think he's great for the game, but I have zero time for that stuff at all, and I lost respect for him."

Come Tuesday morning, Murray wasn't done. This time, he took his complaints to Twitter.

Zverev sides with Murray, revives cheating accusation
Tuesday also allowed Zverev to chime in. The gold-medal winner at the Tokyo Olympics didn't hold back.

"It's not normal," Zverev told reporters. "It's happening every match. It happened to me in the French Open, to Novak (Djokovic) at the finals at the French Open. You know, I think in Hamburg against [Filip] Krajinovic he was complaining, against me in Cincinnati was ridiculous, and now here again. I think players are catching up on that."

Zverev has previously accused Tsitsipas of using extended bathroom breaks to receive coaching from his father and coach Apostolos Tsitsipas. Doing so would violate regulations prohibiting coaching during a match. He revived his claim on Tuesday.

"He's gone for 10-plus minutes," Zverev continued. "His dad is texting on the phone. He comes out, and all of a sudden his tactic completely changed. It's not just me, but everybody saw it. The whole game plan changes.

“Either it's a very magical place he goes to, or there is communication there."

No disrespect, of course.

"But I also don't want to disrespect him," Zverev added. "He is a great player. He is No. 3 in the world for a reason."

NEW YORK, NEW YORK - AUGUST 30: Stefanos Tsitsipas of Greece celebrates against Andy Murray of Great Britain in the first round of the men's singles at the US Open 2021 at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on August 30, 2021 in New York City. (Photo by TPN/Getty Images)
Stefanos Tsitsipas is under fire for his bathroom habits. (TPN/Getty Images)
Tsitsipas' response to cheating charge
Rothenberg reports that Tsitsipas denied any accusations of illegal activity.

“I have never in my career done that; I don’t know what kind of imagination it takes to go to that point,” Tsitsipas said. “That’s not something I want to take seriously because it’s absolutely ridiculous to be thinking about that.”

Zverev wasn't the only player to have Murray's back in the bathroom kerfuffle. Milos Raonic also supported the ousted Brit, though much more efficiently. And without the cheating accusation.

Tsitsipas has at least one ally
One player — at least — is on Tsitsipas' side. American Reilly Opelka argued that he was justified to take the time to change and accused Tsitsipas' media critics of not knowing what it's like to be a real athlete.

“To change or to go after, you know, two sets we're drinking, we're hydrating a lot, we have to use the bathroom,” he said. “To change my socks, shoes, my inserts in my shoes, shorts, shirt, everything, the whole nine yards, hat, it takes five, six minutes. Then by the time I walk to and from the court.

“If people don't understand that, then clearly they've never spent a day in the life of a professional athlete or come close to it.”

What does the USTA think of all the drama? It's looking into it, according to a statement provided to the Times:

"We need to continue to review and explore potential adjustments to the rules, whether for bathroom breaks/change of attire or other areas, that can positively impact the pace of play for our fans and ensure the fairness and integrity of the game."

TAGS