Tournaments this week

London Finals, 11/10/19

ATP version of the WTA general tennis
CrossCourtBH
Junior
Junior
Re: London Finals, 11/10/19

Post by CrossCourtBH » Nov Fri 15, 2019 7:38 pm

what's up with pg = anyone calculating ?
semis to be played ...

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Nov Sat 16, 2019 3:58 am

Looks ok now. Enter your scores now!
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

"Don't wrestle with a pig: you both get dirty, but the pig actually likes it"

CrossCourtBH
Junior
Junior

Post by CrossCourtBH » Nov Sat 16, 2019 4:13 pm

Thanks to all who keep pg updated

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Nov Sun 17, 2019 2:56 pm

Great week, amazing final (watched it on tv) and ATP is in safe hands. I will always be a Federer fan, but this final shows that I can live without the Big 3/4...

And then we did nor even have Shapovalov, Khachanov, De Minaur, Felix Auger in this event.
"Never argue with an idiot - they take you down to their level and then beat you on experience"

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Nov Mon 18, 2019 9:35 am

I doubt he'll be missed by the players. The girls might though:

LONDON — Former Wimbledon runner-up Tomas Berdych has announced his retirement from tennis.

Berdych confirmed the decision at the ATP Finals on Saturday, having hinted on social media this week that reports about his retirement were accurate.

The 34-year-old Czech reached the 2010 Wimbledon final, beating Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic along the way before losing to Rafael Nadal.

He also reached the semifinals at least once at each of the other three Grand Slams and earned 13 career titles, with a career-high ranking of No. 4.

However, he hasn’t played since losing in the first round of the U.S. Open in August and is currently ranked 103rd.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Nov Mon 18, 2019 9:36 am

Graveller wrote:
Nov Sun 17, 2019 2:56 pm
Great week, amazing final (watched it on tv) and ATP is in safe hands. I will always be a Federer fan, but this final shows that I can live without the Big 3/4...

And then we did nor even have Shapovalov, Khachanov, De Minaur, Felix Auger in this event.
Both Stef and Dom look physically brittle to me. We'll see.... Felix has already had heart surgery.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Nov Mon 18, 2019 9:40 am

‘Tennis is the most brutal sport,’ says Dominic Thiem after suffering ATP Finals heartbreak

Dominic Thiem says he is looking forward to many more finals against Stefanos Tsitsipas after losing an ‘incredible match’ to the Greek at the ATP Finals.

Tsitsipas took the trophy and the coveted title in a three-set thriller in London, despite Thiem winning the first set.

Thiem will finish the year as world number four, but was understandably heartbroken by the defeat.

“It was an unbelievable match today. Bravo, Stefanos,” Thiem said.

“We are, mental-wise, playing the most brutal sport existing, it was so close. Both were fighting 100% to the end. That’s how it is in tennis.

“That’s why it’s probably mentally the most brutal sport existing because you can play such a great match and end up losing in the championship match.

“From that point of view, it’s a very disappointing loss, very hard to digest.

“But I had some amazing wins also, even this week, that got me in this situation even to play at the Finals. So it’s fine.”

Tsitsipas and Thiem are great friends off the court, with the Greek even acting as a hitting partner for the Thiem at the ATP Finals three years ago.

“You really deserve it,” Thiem told Tsitsipas. “You’re an amazing player and I really hope we’re going to have some great finals in the future as well.

“I’m looking a forward a lot to it. Although it’s a very hard and tough moment, I still really enjoyed this week.”

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Nov Mon 18, 2019 9:42 am

“First time I met Dominic was I came here as a sparring partner,” he (Tsitsipas) added. “I was No. 1 ranked in the juniors rankings. I got invited by the ITF to come and be a sparring partner here in the Finals.

“I think my first hit was with Dominic. It’s unbelievable, isn’t it? We are now facing each other in the final. It’s great. It’s fantastic.

“I think that year he didn’t do very well, but he kept coming every single year, which is a tremendous amount of respect from me for what he’s been achieving all those years.

Graveller
Commish
Commish

Post by Graveller » Nov Tue 19, 2019 9:57 am

Grossefavourite wrote:
Nov Mon 18, 2019 9:36 am

Both Stef and Dom look physically brittle to me. We'll see.... Felix has already had heart surgery.

Being brittle hasn't stopped Nadal or Murray from achieving a lot.

It seems to me that there has not been a year without Nadal being out for several months.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Nov Tue 19, 2019 10:35 am

Stefanos Tsitsipas says he wants to become the GOAT

n an interview to Socrates Stefanos Tsitsipas was asked how he would like to be remembered in the future. "It should be read: the former world No. 1, or even better, the greatest player of all time", the ATP Finals champion said.

Asked what he improved the most lately, Tsitsipas replied: "My defensive game from the baseline. I worked a lot over the last months, both on court and in the gym. That's why I completely changed my diet. In the meantime, I can say I am totally committed to reach the highest goals.

I became more consistent, I make less mistakes. I am not as crazy as I was in the past. My game is overall more efficient. I also became smarter and I learned that I always play better under pressure. I am on the right path but I have no plans to take a break, believe me.

I am very hungry and I am definitely convinced to go far. Now I enjoy much more attention in Greece than the past year. If I keep like this, this sport will become very popular in my country. I am happy and proud to be a kind of tennis ambassador.

Walking freely there is turning even tougher. Even more fans stop me and they want to take a selfie with me or they ask me for an autograph. My dream was to become a football star but I am happy I picked tennis", concluded the Greek who will start his new season at the ATP Cup.