Re: Gents USO....2019 Maindraw

Post by Pyotr » Sep Mon 09, 2019 7:57 am

rex wrote:
Sep Sun 08, 2019 9:11 pm
CrossCourtBH wrote:
Sep Sun 08, 2019 8:32 pm
Good match & Daniil played great.
Very good comeback in the fourth.

Not good that Nadal kept server waiting all the time & some more (getting in place late, then doing his scratch & sniff routine and additionally holding his racquet up to stop the server - again). This was consistent, very off putting and unfair to Daniil. I think the chair should have said something.
Well.....the Chair did cite Rafael for 3 time violations on his serve, losing his lst serve for each violation late in the match, one which cost him a game in the 5th. Thus, he wasn't sitting on his hands the entire match, tho' it bothered Pat McEnroe providing color commentary on the ESPN broadcast. Yet, it didn't seem to bother Daniil in the least, who just kept playing.

In addition, didn't know this, but I learned during this match that Wimby killed the shot clock for their event, left it to the Chair to call time violations. Pat Fowler said players were exceeding the time quite a bit at Wimby due to such. Good, for I can't stand the shot clock....
I think only because it was becoming more and more absurd. Should have been more.

What's the sense of having the shot clock if you ignore it? Also, why leave it to the discretion of
the Chair when it goes so often ignored. I honestly do think the Big 3 get more leniency than others.
I am glad Medvedev wasn't bothered or rattled.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Mon 09, 2019 9:36 am

If you didn't know their respective history, you'd think you were watching two equals battling each other. For Dani to sustain such a high level against Rafa for 5 sets, points to his great potential to reach more finals, if not win. Rafa thinks he can win a couple of GS's. I agree, if his stick legs hold up.

rex
Commish
Commish

Post by rex » Sep Mon 09, 2019 3:08 pm

Pyotr wrote:
Sep Mon 09, 2019 7:57 am

I think only because it was becoming more and more absurd. Should have been more.

What's the sense of having the shot clock if you ignore it? Also, why leave it to the discretion of
the Chair when it goes so often ignored. I honestly do think the Big 3 get more leniency than others.
I am glad Medvedev wasn't bothered or rattled.
Be advised, that the players (ladies and gents) "never asked for a shot clock", weren't consulted as to its use or feasibility ere its adoption, which Novak, for one, Konta for another, complained about, per attached article. It was imposed upon them by the tennis associations, likely in response to some whining about long matches, desiring to speed up the game and tv networks wanting to slot other programming for other sporting events after such within certain time frames. As previously stated, to my surprise, per Chris, not Pat, Fowler, Wimby didn't use the shot clock and, apparently, no one noticed nor missed it. In this match the Chair elected at his discretion not to call time violations to extremes, unless it was egregious as he determined. However, in each instance, rather than react with arguments with the Chair over the violations, like Rafael has done in the past with "certain" Chairs, he merely took the ball out of his pant's pocket, rolled it over to the ball boy, and began his 2nd serve, for his focus, as Daniil's, was on the match. In addition, the time violations were reacted to for the most part with anger by the house, for they deemed it to be a distraction and an unnecessary interruption to an intensely played match with 15-20 shots or more rallies the norm, not the exception. Given that both players played defense practically in the front of the backline judges, returns were being made half-way in front of the back wall while sprinting to the net in reaction to droppers in more than a few moments in a 5 hour match or thereabouts, the imposition of the shot clock had no place in this match, even though it is a rule, for the public can see after these long, exhausting rallies, that players had the right to take their time ere serving the next game and apparently the Chair recognized this condition and didn't use the time violation 'til late in the 4th and 5th sets at his discretion with the players not beefing about its use or non-use.

The human condition is the most important element not mentioned when one is talking about the consistent use of a shot clock in tennis. Men play 5 set matches at the Slams, some in intense heat, including 3 set matches in similar elements or non-elements, the latter also applicable to the ladies. To apply a restrictive time frame in response to these conditions, including the play to long rallies, is clearly inhumane and the Chairs for the most part realize this and use such at their discretion, which is apparently allowed. Given this condition, imo, the shot clock shouldn't be implemented at all, leaving it to the Chair's discretion to determine whether a player is taking too long to serve, as it was ere the implementation of the clock.

Typing this tho', I'm a little nettled by players going through rituals ere serving, i.e., Rafael is clearly one, Novak, who bounces the ball about 50 times ere serving, and Cilic, who bounces the ball 10 times, stops then looks up at the opponent, then looks to the opposite side of the court for some reason, then bounces the ball another 10 times ere serving, to name a few. Yet, since it's done so often and for so long, I just shrug. In addition, to CCBH's point....for quick servers, like Daniil in this match, he disliked Rafa stalling him, not being ready for his serve. Well.....Rafael and others also have the right not to be rushed, that's why they hold up their racquet to the server when they're ready. Jelena Jankovic was notorious for this tactic and did it often against the Sisters. However, per the USTA tennis rules, item 12, as attached, the server may not serve "until the receiver is ready", meaning they have the right "not to be rushed".

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/11/spor ... -open.html

http://www.cis.umassd.edu/~hxu/alink/UI ... sRules.pdf

Zalvar
Regular
Regular

Post by Zalvar » Sep Mon 09, 2019 4:14 pm

Shot clock is nice when you have other people to pass the ball to. Not for tennis.

Grossefavourite
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by Grossefavourite » Sep Mon 09, 2019 5:49 pm

Disrupting your opponent's serving or receiving momentum is legit.

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Oct Tue 01, 2019 7:11 am

Andy Murray just beat Berrettini 7-6, 7-6 :shock:

djmm1962
Accomplished
Accomplished

Post by djmm1962 » Oct Thu 03, 2019 7:20 am

Ace2Ace